So, what has Mikaela been learning of late? Well, she can count to 20 in English, German and Spanish (most of the time--I've noticed a couple of setbacks--we're really working on the "th" sound--kinda hard not to get the "f" sound out instead, so she'd skip 13 and continue on her merry way; but now she's starting to make a conscious effort to say thhhirteen, which is causing her to skip 14 and 15 :) ), while making a one-to-one relationship as we count things all over the house. She also recognizes the digits 0-9. So I've been avoiding the, "How old are you?" question b/c I know she doesn't really understand much of the concept of time yet. But I gave in the other day b/c she came into the bathroom and was attempting to hold up two fingers, saying, "Two!" (which was really 5). So, of course, I was correcting her and trying to show her how to hold up two fingers, and I thought while we were on the number 2, we might as well see if she knew how old she was. Well, two fingers can be kind of tricky to hold up for a two-year-old, so Mikaela decides she'll just hold up one finger from each hand. Can't argue there :) But she went back to trying to hold up two fingers on one hand. There was lots of, "Stop!", "Go away!", "No!" and so on (screaming at the fingers that refused to stay down :) ) until she finally got it. Needless to say, she doesn't know whether she's two, or five or any other number that's currently in her vocabulary :)
We are also pronouncing out longer words--still with only short vowels but tacking on sounds like "sh," "ck," and more recently "ch," and "th." And we are getting more and more familiar with the ever so important sight words "the" and "and." Slow and steady :)
And this last week, we learned the parts of the body in Spanish. She pretty much know them all when I ask her to tell me where a certain part is--we haven't gone the other way around yet. Maybe we'll tack on the German body parts this week--we'll see :)
No comments:
Post a Comment