Thursday, October 22, 2009

Swollen Oatmeal

So I had somewhat of an epiphany this past Sunday. We were getting ready for church--bathing kids, getting ourselves ready and so on. MJ, EM and KL were each crying at some point at not wanting hair washed or whatever the reason, but still I had our hymns playing and hadn't lost my cool. Then, KL got to wear the oh so adorable sailor outfit that Aunt Kelli got for MJ a few years back, so what's a mom to do but to take a few pictures? My wonderful Eric assisted me in trying to get her to smile and so forth. By then I'd used up at least 20 minutes when I should have been doing other things so as not to be late. My wonderful hubby fed the kids and then proceeded to offer to make me something to eat. I told him I wanted some oatmeal, but I wasn't really wanting him to make it b/c I'm pretty picky on how I like it. But he was offering, and I really don't like to turn him down when he's offering to help. I told him how long to warm the water and such. He got everything ready for me, and I went to the kitchen looking forward to filling my hungry tummy with my yummy oatmeal. Upon pouring the water into my bowl, I thought it felt a little warmer than usual, but that didn't stop me from pouring it in. Well, I don't know if you've noticed before, but, the hotter the water is, the more the oatmeal swells, thus also giving you a larger portion of food to eat. I DETEST overly swollen, goopy oatmeal--it makes me want to gag! But, I'd already poured the water, so that's what I had. I asked Eric if he warmed the water for the amount of time I'd told him, and he said yes. So I continued to probe saying that he MUST have warmed it for longer b/c it was just way too hot. I finally found out that he'd filled the cup with scalding hot water from our kitchen sink and then warmed it in the microwave! Well, I hated to waste two packets of instant oatmeal, and I knew Eric would be frustrated if I didn't eat any of it. But the whole time I was just complaining and questioning and really wanting to just dump it out and do it the "right" way :) The joy I'd had just a few minutes before was stolen, and I really just wanted to be upset that now I didn't have time to eat breakfast b/c Eric didn't do things right. In trying to calm my inner thoughts down, the Lord graciously reminded me that I spent 20 minutes taking pictures, with Eric helping, at my request, and he was just trying to help me get something to eat--I'm just not being very grateful. After church, my epiphany was that Satan was trying to steal my joy over a bowl of swollen oatmeal! He wasn't successful through whining, crying kids, but he could somehow take my husband's thoughtfulness and turn it into something bad in my eyes. So, may I never forget the lesson of my swollen oatmeal, and I pray the Holy Spirit would not allow Satan to steal my joy, especially right before going to worship.

1 comment:

The Dowdneys said...

First....I LOVE THAT SAILOR OUTFIT!! It was one of my favortie busy for MJ! So glad to see KL in it, too! :) And can I tell you how much swollen oatmeal I have been fighting lately? ugh....spiritual warfare! Yes, I have to be thankful and fight that enemy all day long! Glad to know I'm not the only one he's picking on! :)