Monday, March 23, 2009

Introducing...

Another sweet baby girl, Kerith Love Axelson! (pronounced care'-ith). This little sweetie decided she wanted to stay in Mommy 2 weeks longer than her sister and brother. So she was born today, March 23 at 7:56 am (her actual due date!). She came in at 8 lbs. 5 oz!! and was 20.5 inches long--so definitely my biggest baby thus far :)

So here's the story:
Kerith has actually been teasing me somewhat for about a month now. But around 3 this morning, I started having some fairly strong contractions anywhere from 7-10 minutes apart. I was somewhat monitoring them for about 2 hours--still trying not to get my hopes up b/c I'd been teased so many times already. Finally around 5, I was thinking these really could be the real thing, so I told Eric I was going to take a shower to see if they (the contractions) hung around or not. They did, so I decided to clean the bathroom just to make sure they were still coming. They did! So around 5:45, we called our midwife, Jackie. I had really strong, hard close-together contractions from around 6-7:30. Jackie arrived a couple of minutes after 7. Around 7:40 or so, I had a very strong contraction that broke my water, and it was all pushing from there! I had to push really hard off and on for 15-20 minutes, and my little munchkin finally popped out at 7:56! She was much harder to get out than her brother was, but I guess that's what happens when you weigh a solid pound and a half more! We'd prepared Mikaela for a few weeks now and asked if she wanted to watch the baby come out. So it was cool for her to have a front-row seat getting to watch her much longed-for sister come out. She wasn't really a fan of the mess or Mommy's grunting during pushing, and she asked where the baby's clothes were :) but overall, she was super excited to have the baby come today and that it was a sister.

My thoughts this time around:
1) I'm sooo thankful the Lord gave us another wonderful birth without any complications and a nice, pink healthy baby to go along with it.
2) Five-hour laboring HURTS as compared to the gradual day and a half laboring with EM. But this was good for me, as it helps to humble me. I would definitely still do it again, but I think I have a lot more compassion now for people who labor hard for a much longer period of time. I'm very grateful right now for only an hour and a half of really hard laboring.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience, but I'm very glad it's over and Kerith is out :) Sorry for the phone pics, but that's all I could muster up for today--I'm sure there will be many more within the next few days!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! She is beautiful and so healthy!! Enjoy being a FAMILY OF 5!!!

The Bayse Family said...

Oh my goodness, she looks like both Mikaela and Elijah, she's so cute, and I like the bow!

Anonymous said...

congrats! she's beautiful. i'm glad everything went smoothly and so excited about the home birth too. -julia and nick lewis

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Kerith is a beautiful baby. What a blessing to be able to have your babies at home with such "easy" :) labor and delivery. How beautiful to have had Mikaela experience that with you too! Many blessings to you and your growing family.
Love
Irma S.

Anonymous said...

Dear Heather and Eric,
We are rejoicing with you all for the birth of your precious baby girl...she's beautiful and so healthy looking. We enjoyed seeing pics of your entire family. Mikaela and Elijah are so wonderful and look very happy! Thank you so very much for sharing this blessed time in your life with us. God continues to richly bless your dear family.

Love,
The Wigleys

Anonymous said...

congratulation! she is a beautiful girl. and we are so glad everything went smoothly! God bless you and your family
wenxin and Jen's family

Unknown said...

You have a beautiful family!! May God continue to bless you!
Warmly,
Shannon (Lockhart) Ryan